Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Great Advice

I'm in the stage of parenting right now that straddles wanting to hold onto my babies and wanting to give them the room to grow up. Last Thursday, I met Tootie's first-grade teacher for the first time and she said something that really made an impression on me. I was the only parent in the room at the time so we had plenty of time to chat and she said, "I work them pretty hard during the day and try to not burden them with a ton of homework. It's important for kids to get to be kids". What a concept! Education is not my field and only time will tell how this whole thing turns out but I am feeling really at ease with our school system.

1 comment:

AFRo said...

Those are the magic words as far as I'm concerned. When we had the "daycare incident" this summer and I went in search of a new one, it came down to two of the 4 that I looked at... the deciding factor was when the director of the one that we settled on told me, "Summer is about having structure, but most importantly having fun. They are kids after all."

I fell in love at that very moment.