Thursday, May 29, 2008

Etiquette Dilemma

Last night, right as my ass hit the chair at the dinner table to enjoy my garlic shrimp and spinach salad, the doorbell rang. And there were two adorable old church people handing me a book and a box of cookies. Before my slow brain could politely decline and tell them we were sitting down for dinner, something caught my attention and stopped me from sending them on their way. They were from the church that runs Moggie's preschool. I stood on the porch and talked to them for a little while. The gentleman asked me if I had made my reservation for Heaven and I said "Um, well I'm not planning on traveling for a while" but that wasn't a great answer. It took me a little while to assure him that I had been raised a good Baptist and all of that jazz. We had a word of prayer on the front porch, said goodbye (after I promised them I would come to church next Sunday) and I came inside to eat my dinner. Then I realized that I had probably been extremely rude to entertain those folks while standing on my front porch and I should have invited them in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, that wasn't a great answer...it was a freaking awesome answer! I'm sure the old people didn't find it very funny, but if I would have been standing next to you on your porch my uncontrollable cackling would have eventually scared them away.

Jennifer said...

Moggie will probably get a full scholarship for the 4-yo program this coming fall, ha ha. "This poor child needs all the help she can get".

Mom O Matic said...

Not rude at all! It was nice of you to abandon your shrimp and speak with them.

When I was an Au Pair in England I would get soooo lonely. The family lived in the countryside and there was nobody around to talk to. So one day when a couple of sweet elderly bible knockers came to the door I jumped them.

Invited them in, made them tea, swore that Jesus and I were super tight. I really think I scared them actually.

AFRo said...

It would have been rude if you'd know they were coming. However, the rude part is on them for showing up unannounced. You would've been within guidelines to decline the visit because of dinner and invited them back another time.