Thursday, May 8, 2008

Removing Blood from a Lilly

Last night, I was making dinner and Tootie crashed through Fidel's garage door screaming about her bike being in the creek. I wasn't alarmed until I noticed that she was spotted with blood, then my poor Moggie crashed through the same garage door looking like she had been on the bad end of a switchblade knife. I ran outside to get Fidel because I knew that I wouldn't be able to handle the sight of a wound that was producing that much blood. I must add that I applied pressure on her wound with a wet washcloth. I didn't leave her hemorrhaging or anything. During all of this excitement, Tootie kept sobbing and screaming about her bike being in the creek. After trying to collect myself to take care of the injured child and ignoring the constant and increasingly louder demands for bike retrieval, I lost it and screamed, "Shut up about the fucking bike already". I have to get a special Mother-of-the-Year plaque for that one, right?

After being rejected from our usual ER because of the ugliness of the wound, we made it down to the county ER (yay) where we waited with the masses. Four hours, and lots of baby happy drugs later, we left for home with five new stitches under the nail bed of her left middle finger and the old nail sewn back on top of that. She's got a big old ET-finger bandage on her that I have to keep dry for the next five days.

You know when your kid is covered in their own blood, you tend to scoop them up and head out to the ER without bothering to change clothes or anything. Moggie was dressed in a Lilly Pulitzer dress because we had done a Mother's Day tea party at her school earlier. That nice little Lilly is now covered in big drips and smears of blood but the poor child kept getting compliments on her pretty dress. Let's hope the gods of enzyme action can remove that blood.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders on getting blood out. (I have an accident-prone 4 year-old too, so I had to figure this out!)

Anonymous said...

Poor Moggie!! I hope her finger feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'd stick it in a pot of cold water to soak (keep changing the water) and scrub lightly the area(s) and return to the water until you research how to best save dress/preserve color. Whatever you do, no HOT WATER.

AFRo said...

Poor baby! That sounds awful! I hope it feels better soon and that you had big girl happy pills for mommy when you got home... I would've needed at least a Valium after all of that.

Mel said...

Ouch, just reading that made my stomach get all tight! I hope she is okay. Yeah, I guess the last thing on anyone's mind would be a dress. If you pretreat it immediately it should come out. The key is, if it does not come out first try, DON'T dry it! That will set the stain! Hope your little girl's finger gets better soon.

so tired said...

BORAX (you can get it at Wal Mart) gets blood out pretty well. You just make a little paste with it. Keep washing it in cold water. No hot or warm water and don't put it in the dryer until the stain is out.

Who is older, Tootie or Moggie? I'm betting Tootie......

My oldest would totally be thinking about himself and his possessions and not his little sister. And that is pretty much how I would have reacted to him too.

Mom O Matic said...

Oh don't blame yourself for yelling that. The mommy adrenaline kicks in when we are in rescue mode.

Stacy said...

Poor Moogie. LOL at Tootie because I can so picture that.

Jennifer said...

Blood's out! I just used Shout and then washed with Tide in cold water and the dress is as good as new. Except it doesn't have that freshly-pressed look to it.