Sunday, December 30, 2007

Thank You, Fidel!

I scored this year for Christmas. I typically don't care what I get, I just want to open something. Even if it's something small like a book or chocolates. It's not the stuff, it's the experience. This year, however, I really liked my stuff. Stuff like an iPod touch with a home stereo system thingie, new perfume, cashmere scarf and a double griddle. And a new, wonderful laptop! Yes, I love cooking stuff and am thrilled to open something I've been wishing for. It felt really good that he listened to my hints through the year and got me things I wanted. He also drove me over to see my family and my grandfather in the rehab facility. Obviously that wasn't an entertaining outing, but he took some beautiful pictures of my grandparents together since we drove my grandmother up for the visit, too. She has Alzheimer's and he's not 100% after his stroke, but let me tell you how moving it was to see those two grab hands and stick their heads together. I seriously cried and I'm tearing up talking about it. I looked at Fidel and thought, man, I have that. I hadn't even missed my crazy pills and I had that surge of emotion! The good news in all of this is that my Papa will be coming home on Tuesday. Their lives will never be as they were before the stroke, but I think having him home will be much better for my Mama and obviously my Papa will be happy about it. The girls and I are leaving tomorrow to drive over there for the homecoming, so I will miss doing NYE with Fidel for the first time since we met. I guess I'll spend NYE with my mom, drinking wine and watching TV. She will like that and I do have a good time with her.

Anyway, I hope you all have a great last day of the year, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the funny business after all of this hoopla is over.

No comments: