Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bust My Ayss

In our ongoing mission to spend every dime to our names, Fidel hired a concrete crew to come out and pour a new patio under our new deck space. He emailed me and said that they didn't sound very smart on the telephone so I really didn't know what to expect. I told him that my Daddy probably doesn't sound very smart on the phone but it was because of the strong Southern accent. Turns out, the concrete fellows were just as country as can be, but very good at their jobs. They reminded me of workers on my Grandfather's farm back when I was a child and I quickly reverted back to my childhood job of fetching ice water for them. They should be happy that I didn't go check out their truck for their lunch buckets like I did when I was growing up. My Daddy caught me sitting up in somebody's truck eating their lunch while the workers were in the hayfield.

Anyway, I was standing up on the deck keeping one eye on the girls in the hot tub and the other eye on the concrete truck because it was interesting. The concrete was being fed down a ramp into wheelbarrows and one of the old guys said, "Hoo, Imma fall down here and bust my ayss". An ayss is an ass, but old Southern country people have a special way of saying it, ayss. He looked up and saw me and apologized and I laughed and said, "Oh my grandma can outcuss you, you aren't offending me". A lot of people make fun of country folks but those guys today gave me a little taste of home.

4 comments:

K said...

Throw in a good ol' "what in the sam hill" and you're right back home.

ErIn said...

LOL at the ayss. Isaiah has developed a nice southern accent and pronounces all his a's like ay (ex... Look at thayt).

AFRo said...

Yes. Ma'am. I am rolling over here. You forgot to add that sometimes it can be broken into two syllables depending on the drawl.

absurdly yours said...

Bless their little hearts! We wouldn't want him to fall and bust his ayss!