Thursday, September 6, 2007

Juice Freaks

Yesterday was Moggie's first day of preschool this year. She went last year so I wasn't in the sobbing-for-leaving-my-baby crowd of moms. I dropped her off in her classroom with a few of her friends from her class last year and headed up to the parent orientation meeting. I've been to so many of these meetings that I could really give the speech myself but I still went because I was supposed to. Anyway, in the midst of the carpool procedures, calendar review and curriculum overview, the subject of snacks came up. At this preschool, about once a month your kid comes home with a big bucket and you return it to school the next day filled with snacks for the class. I normally send in stuff like cheez-its, fruit and apple juice or maybe milk. The preschool director was saying that you don't even need to send in juice or milk because they encourage the kids to drink water. There was a lady sitting in front of me and she started nodding and getting all worked up. I could just tell she was a juice freak. You know the type, never give their kids any juice or sugar of any kind. Yet when those kids come to my house I find them raiding the pantry and after they are gone I notice the empty juice boxes hidden around the house. My girls are allowed to drink juice and usually have maybe 4-5 ounces a day. They drink lots of water and enough milk according to their pediatrician. The juice helps my kids with pooping, too. I don't know exactly where I'm heading with this novel and the adult ADD is kicking in, so I'll just say that I am not a fan of overly-restrictive parenting. I'm seeing the juice as a starting point for control freak moms. Oh my, no, Granola Junior doesn't drink juice, it's not healthy and he has a peanut allergy and cat allergy and has to have his ADD medicine only with Fiji because of contamination in the tap water and toxic metals from the plumbing and could you dust and vacuum with a microbial filtering machine before I drop him over uninvited so I can disappear for 4 hours when I say I'm just going over to the organic market for an item I forgot and feed him lunch since I failed to bring anything for him. But please don't give him juice, refined flours, chicken nuggets, peanut butter or anything processed on machinery that ever had a rendezvous with a nut. Also, he's recently developed a possible allergy to wheat and soy. See you in a few!

If you have to give the sort of run-down in the above paragraph, do me a favor and keep your little high-maintenance motherfucker at home. I have a cat, I'm not vacuuming the entire house for your rugrat to come and drop crumbs all over the place and I'm not coughing up a freaking virgin organic lamb for his lunch. I'll give his ass Reese's Cups with a generic apple juice chaser.

13 comments:

Stacy said...

Alright - alright you've caught me. I cringed a little when I found out Cayden's school gives them Lemonade for a drink at snack everyday! Seriously I was a littler perturbed by that. But I'm happy to say she doesn't have any allergies and can have small doses of sugar and watered down juice....this is why I love our friendship - I have to LMFAO at your commentary especially since I'm a little ODD in some of those areas. Off to hide in the little corner. Thanks for making me LOL!

Mom O Matic said...

"I'll give his ass Reese's Cups with a generic apple juice chaser." This. This is why I want to move to the South. All the great, funny women are in the damn South!

barefoot gardener said...

Oh. My. God. This is so funny! Keep it up girl!

I am firmly in the camp of "let-your-kid-pull-that-400lb-TV-on-their-head-it-might-teach-'em-to-LEAVE-SHIT-ALONE!

Obviously, I don't care if my kid drinks juice.

Of course all mine wants is water and milk, so I don't have too much to worry about.

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

amen! we so have this preschool classmate. damn kid is allergic to EVERYTHING therefore I am allergic to his damn mother. guess there won't be any play dates with that weenie...

Amie Adams said...

Oh thank god there are still a few good women out there!!

Right on sistah!!

K said...

Amen sistah! I am so sick of this paranoia parents are force fed these days. I ate peanut butter and SYRUP sandwiches and turned out just fine.

ErIn said...

LMFAO! I'm pretty sure you must've somehow crossed paths with my Granola Anti Juice Nazi SIL!

dee said...

Screaming...OMG, you are the funniest person I've read in a long time. Gotta go wipe off the tea from the screen now...came here from Mom-0-matic. Hilarious...seriously!

debbie said...

My grandson drinks seltzer and eats lox, I sneak him some diet coke and oreos when I visit, he survives nicely despite his demented grandma. I came over from Lotta's blog. You crack me up. I'm from FL, but my blog is of the boring variety. Love your blog and sense of humor. Thank you

RG Mama said...

Followed a link from Mom-o-Matic to you and I love your writing! Perfect!

Chicky said...

Following the Mom-o-matic train...you have a fan in her, and I can see why!!! I can see a long day of catching up in my future!

. said...

You can feed Dylan all the reeses and apple juice you want, but you have to keep him til he shits it all out!!

His school won't give him juice :)

Queen In My House of Blue said...

you are too funny girl!!