Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lousy Lucy

A week ago today, I got a call from the school nurse saying I had to come pick up Tootie because she had lice. This was at 8:30 in the morning and I spent the next 12 hours vacuuming, treating 3 heads with insecticide for lice, combing and checking for lice and nits, laundry, quarantining stuffed animals and generally cursing life. The lucky bastard that sired these dirty children was at a business dinner after work drinking good wine and eating prime beef, completely missing out on the fun of head critters. He did bring me home a slice of delicious cheesecake topped with the most beautiful fresh berries. He's a smart man.

Anyway, here we are a week later and still free of lice. I've been working my ass off, combing through hair, vacuuming like a freak, flat-ironing hair to fry any nits that may still be around... I still don't have any idea where the lice came from. We did the Barbie meet and greet at Zoo Atlanta the Saturday before infestation so Fidel and I love to curse the louse-ridden Barbie. Doesn't she look like she's crawling with bugs?


Of course I don't think the poor girl really had bugs, it just sounds funnier that way. Lice are really just going around at school and lots of kids have had them. I wish that those kids had kept their critters to themselves but you know kids love to share, especially anything that will annoy the hell out of parents. If I learned anything in the past week, it's that lice are freaking annoying. And disgusting. And can be fried with a flat iron. SSSSSSS

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow Lice are just so damn disgusting. What really sucks is no matter how clean your kids are most likely they are still going to get lice from school. I'm not looking forward to that adventure at all!

Jennifer said...

The nurse said that lice seek out clean hair, so I should put hair gel and hairspray in her hair to repel them!