Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pros and Cons of Memory Loss

I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember Shit) and I have found that while it has it's obvious problems, you also reap a few sweet benefits from CRS. Television reruns are not a problem. I can watch the same shows over and over and laugh/cry/be surprised each time. I don't miss shows like Lost that have long hiatuses because after a few days I forget the shows exist. Not complete amnesia or anything- I don't see a preview for Lost and go "Damn, is this a new show because I have never heard of such a thing" but more like "Oh yeah, I forgot this show was on". I can seriously buy myself gifts a month or so before the occasion and as long as I wrap it, I completely forget what it is. Unfortunately we had one horrible Christmas here where Fidel decided doing no gifts for me was a good idea so yes, I have bought my own gifts.

One unfortunate part of memory loss is not being able to hold a grudge. I know that may sound like a wonderful perk but there is a reason we hold grudges and that's so we don't keep reliving situations that we should have learned from in the first place. Now I'm naturally a bitchy person with a bitter streak, even though I'm blissfully happy. I'm like a Pollyanna cynic, one big old contradictory mess. I'm a good judge of character and within a few minutes I can tell if I like someone or if we will be better off being very casual acquaintances. A lot of times I can make a mental note to steer clear of people I don't like but that's often all I will remember. In the case of the Neighbors from Hell, I'll easily get sucked into a conversation with one of them until some stupid falls out of their mouth and then I'm like, "Oh yeah, that's why I don't like these fuckers" and it all comes back, only to be lost again. I just need to remember to keep it brief with them and go on about my business.

The post below actually made me think of this discussion because commenters were asking if Neighbor Kid was the same one I've been bitching about, and yes he is. Mush Mouth/Neighbor Kid/Future Stalker/Little Lying Fucker, it's all the same kid. He's sneaky, he will lie right to your face even if you catch him red-handed, and is overly aggressive (tries to hold them under at the pool, holds them down to kiss them, shows his pecker, beats them with foam swords, runs over them with his bike, etc. )with my girls so I don't like him, don't have to like him and will likely never like him, all with good reason. I'm tying this so I don't forget it and then get soft hearted and go through the escalation process over and over again because that situation is hopeless.

On a funny note, the mom of this kid put him in camp with my girls last year, even weaseling him into the same class as Tootie. I've kept summer plans to myself this year and she asked me a few weeks back to join her in doing an activity once a week with them, like the zoo and various parks. I'm just grateful that we have some good neighbors moving in next door, and they already know the deal with the Neighbors from Hell from the conversations they have already had with them. At least the "stay away from my kids" deal won't just be from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LMAO that you forget that is the kid from hell!!