Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Letters from Home

Do people write letters anymore? I now refer to emails as letters because that's all I get.

My stepmother (a great stepmother) emailed me this morning that my dad has bought my grandparents a car to tool around in. To refresh your memory, my grandmother is completely senile and my grandfather is a little impaired after his stroke. He has days where he thinks that he's a young man again and he tells people that my grandmother is having a baby. I'm not making light of their situation but honestly they are as happy as pigs in shit and they are cute. They kiss and giggle and act like newlyweds. They are being taken care of at home by my dad and my aunt, have a weekend live-in helper and have basic health care at home. They have a golf cart to get around the farm with, and their main vehicle is a 5-speed manual transmission truck. My dad has just bough them a car. To make it easier (more accurately, possible) for them to drive. They live way out in the country so thankfully they won't make it to an interstate and end up in New Mexico or something.

Moving on to my dad... I have mentioned that he suffers from the Jimmy Legs (Restless Leg Syndrome) and that he has a pill-pushing doctor. He gets valiums by the buckets and his newest remedy for his Jimmy Legs is valium and Hershey's Kisses. Apparently the ones with almonds work better. I asked my stepmother if that combination actually helps him or just knocks him out so that he doesn't realize he's dancing in his sleep and she is of the opinion that it just knocks him out and makes him forget about it.

No comments: