Thursday, October 4, 2007

Here's a Way to Get TP'd

I clicked onto FARK.com this morning so that I could avoid another viewing of the Talking Words Factory, and I saw a headline about Halloween being a satanic ploy by the Enemy for our children. I'm selfish and I only want the children to be used in my personal ploys so I had to check it out. Turns out it's an article on 700 Club.com so now Pat and Company have my IP address. Great.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Consider your options. There are many message-driven alternatives to offer, other than a bowl full of candy. For instance, there are Gospel tracts designed for trick-or-treaters that can be purchased online or at your Christian bookstore. You might also want to consider designing your own tracts or attaching scripture messages to the treats.

Scripture Candy, the makers of Fish Mints™ contain wrappers that have scriptural text. Also, EvangeCandy,"the only candy with color-coded Gospels on every wrapper" are fun for children.

This Halloween, spiritually invest in your neighborhood children and don't make the mistake that I have made of ignoring the doorbell. Please do not shut yourself off to this generation. You have a unique opportunity to invest in the Kingdom of God without even leaving your home. Suffer not these little children and consider how you can protect them from the hauntings of the Enemy.

Can you imagine handing out leaflets and preaching to trick or treaters? Can you imagine, in today's multicultural world, that someone would be so audacious as to assume that children on your doorstep are even Christian? I am a religious person, but I don't agree with pushing your religion on the world. I'm also an involved parent and I would really have a problem if an organization tried to recruit my kids for anything. If you don't want to participate in Trick-or-Treating, that's fine, just turn your light off. Chances are if you are the type of person to try and preach to children on Halloween night, people know to avoid you anyway.

I seriously got a stare-down from 2 skirt-wearers yesterday while I was picking out Halloween decorations at Michaels. You know what skirt wearers are. Not normal skirts, but the long frumpy ones, worn with sneakers, a t-shirt and maybe even a vest if they want to mix it up a bit. Picture the Duggar mom look. The skirt-wearers were standing at the end of the Halloween aisle glaring at me. I wanted to say, BOO!, but I didn't because I don't want to be known as the psycho lady in Michaels. I did make eye contact long enough to make them uncomfortable so they scampered off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny! I agree..... get over it.... in fact if you really research the holiday you'll find that it is a religious one.

Saturday my church... I'm Catholic by the way.... is hosting our own Halloween get together..... notice I didn't call it a Fall Festival.....

Anyhoo....... we're making stuff and having fun! I live in South Georgia.... the looks we're gonna get! YEE Haww & Boo!

Jennifer said...

We had Halloween carnivals every year at our Southern Baptist church growing up, Judi, including a haunted house, peeled grapes for eyeballs, pasta for guts, etc. Some of my best Halloween memories are of peeling grapes with my grandma to make the eyeballs.

I can just see Ned Flanders from The Simpsons handing out tracts to Trick or Treaters!

Anonymous said...

can you tell me more about the spooky tree?? I sounds very interesting.....I'd like to make one myself. (and maybe insult the people handing out leaflets for halloween!)
L.

K said...

I think we need to see pics of the spooky tree! SPOOKY TREE! SPOOKY TREE! SPOOKY TREE!

I guess the skirt wearers wouldn't care for my one-legged skeleton tied by the neck to my tree in my front yard, the skeleton hanging from my flag pole, the witch by the door, or the bloody arm by the steps?

>:o)