Saturday, October 6, 2007

Wal-Mart Nightmares

I found this article on Fark last night about a whiny-ass mom complaining about Wal-Mart's Halloween display giving her kids nightmares. I can sympathize to a point about nightmares about things I've seen in WM, but wouldn't you feel a bit stupid complaining about an animated Halloween display? When I was a kid, my parents paid good money to send me to haunted houses to get chased around by some redneck with a bladeless chainsaw and I turned out just fine. I would run and cry, come out of the haunted house with chunks of lard stuck in my hair and hop my ass in line to do it all over again. At this point in my life I'm questioning what the rednecks were thinking when they were making the supply list for the haunted house but there are some things that none of us will ever understand and I'm sure that's one of them. They always had lard and it ended up in your hair. Boo!

You will never see my parents on a Parents of the Year poster, but one thing they were really good at is not coddling me or insulating me from the world. I grew up with my eyes wide open, able to come up with a solution to lots of issues that other kids struggled with. I can just picture the look on my mother's face if I started whining about a Halloween toy giving me nightmares. She would be like, "Whatever, just don't wake the rest of the house". No way my mom would have been in an article complaining about WM giving me nightmares. She may be a cold-hearted snake but at least she raised some confident kids. Well, one confident kid and one total trainwreck but who's perfect?

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm laughing so hard! Last night Cayden was having such fits going to bed because she was afraid and it just got to the point where I was like "Well sit here and cry all night if you want, just don't wake your brother. Goodnight!".